As I write this post, I’m sitting on the couch watching Its the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown. My sentimental heart just beats wildly as I recall watching this as a kid, before we went out Trick-or Treating. I love it.
Now, on to the Chicken Fried Rice. This meal takes about 30 minutes and is an incredibly easy weeknight meal, but also it is delicious enough to serve on the weekend. It starts with really good chicken. It also makes a lot! So you’ll have tons of leftovers to take to work or pack in school lunches. This recipe is also great because if you have vegetarians coming over, just serve the chicken on the side for the meat-eaters.
I’m still working on my photography skills, but here is my chicken. First cut 2-3 large chicken breasts into bite-size chunks and saute it until cooked though–about 6 minutes on each side. (This may be a little long, but I”m always afraid I’m going to poison us with under-cooked chicken).
Then cook 4 cups of instant white rice according to the package directions.
Here’s where it starts to look like the meal you love. In the same pan you used for the chicken, saute 1 medium onion and 2 cloves garlic until they are fragrant and translucent. I don’t like the hassle of peeling and mincing garlic, I always used minced garlic in a jar (you can find this in the produce section of your local grocery store).
After the onion and garlic are ready, add about 2 cups mixed veggies ( I like to use a mix with lima beans) then saute for about 5 minutes more, until veggies are tender.
Then there’s the fun part. Make an opening in the middle of your pan and add 2-3 well beaten eggs. Cook about 3 minutes until eggs are done (make sure to be scrambling the eggs the whole time).
Then add in the rice and chicken. Turn the heat up to medium-high heat and add 6-8 tablespoons of soy sauce to taste. I also like to add a dash of salt and pepper…and a bit more soy sauce. Then heat it all back up turning occasionally until the rice and chicken are nice and hot again. About 7 minutes.
The Best Chicken Fried Rice:
2-3 Large Chicken Breasts
4 cups white instant rice (cooked according to package)
1 medium onion, chopped
2 teaspons garlic, minced
2 tablespoons canola or vegetable oil
2-3 cups mixed frozen mixed vegetables, depending on how much you love or hate veggies
2-3 eggs, well beaten
6-8 teaspoons Soy Sauce
Salt & Pepper to taste
- Cut chicken breasts into small bite-size chunks. Saute in large deep skillet until cooked-through. About 6 minutes per side. Remove from pan and set aside.
- Meanwhile, cook 4 cups instant white rice according to package directions.
- Chop onion and toss in large skillet with canola oil and garlic. Saute until onion is translucent and garlic is fragrant.
- With onion and garlic, add mixed vegetables and saute until vegetables are tender.
- Make open space in middle of skillet of veggies, add well-beaten eggs and cook them( stirring regularly).
- When eggs are cooked, add rice, chicken, soy sauce, and pepper.
- Cook entire mixture in skillet until rice and chicken are hot again. Add more soy sauce and salt and pepper to taste.